Monday, April 1, 2013

Escape with Michael Vey


Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25
By: Richard Paul Evans

One of the few books I have gotten recently that was not on my Kindle. I went to the bookstore and asked for staff recommendations for a young adult fantasy adventure and this is what she gave me. 

The Goodreads blurb: My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story. To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers. Michael thinks he's unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive.

It was the exact genre I was looking for and the characters were realistic and (despite being 6 years younger then me) I was able to connect with them. I loved Michael for many reasons, but most importantly  his conviction. Taylor Ridley was fierce and didn't compromise her values for anyone. And Ostin was the most loyal friend you could ask for. Beyond the compelling characters the plot was easy to follow and sucked you right in from the first chapter. It had suspense and intrigue. While I stick to my gut 5/5 rating and recommendation I will warn that the writing is very simplistic and may turn some readers off. But for me the plot and characters overcompensated for this.

Check out Michael Vey on Goodreads or Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment