Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Escape with Ender's Game


Ender's Game
By: Orson Scott Card



The Goodreads Blurb: In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.
Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister. Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives. Ender's Game is the winner of the 1985 Nebula Award for Best Novel and the 1986 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

The blurb gives more away then I think it should, but there is still a lot to learn. This book was amazing! I am so looking forward to seeing the film now and how they adapt it to the big screen.


This book was very, very emotional. I got so invested in the characters and the experience. I could not read the book straight through. I got so involved I had to step away. I was cheering for Ender and horrified by Peter. I laughed and cried. It was a moving experience. I wish more novels were this complex and moving. I can understand why it won awards because I would nominate it myself.

I think my favorite part was how this book made me look at myself. I compared myself to my siblings and really examined our personalities  I examined my relationships with other people and how I see myself versus how other see me. I don't think you can read Ender's Game without looking at your relationships with people and looking at yourself. 

I will say despite knowing it was a war novel I was surprised at some of the descriptions of violence. I don't tend to enjoy that sort of thing so it was a little bit off-putting. But the complexity of the novel really helped me get paste my own distaste for it. 

I absolutely recommend getting this book and reading it before the movie comes out! 

Check out Ender's Game at Goodreads or Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment